The Tribulation is the period of time that the judgments in the Revelation are unleashed onto the earth. The Bible specifies itoccuring during a seven year time frame. These judgments lead to Armageddon and the end of the World. The Tribulation divides into two halves. Scholars named the second half the Great Tribulation because during this period the angels release the worst of the plauges described in the book of Revelation.
Named by Jesus
Great Tribulation Named by Jesus and in the book of Revelation
Elder in the Revelation refers to the time period of judgements as the Great Tribulation
When John saw the multitue of people in white robes worshipping before the throne, the elder asked him who the people were in a rhetorical question. The elder answered, “These are the ones who come out of the Great Tribulation.” Revelation 7:14 The elder named the entire time period as the Great Tribulation.
The Great Tribulation
The Abomination of Desolation
The prophet Daniel forecast the abomination of desolation. It occurs when the Antichrist goes into Holy of Holy’s of the Third Temple, declares himself as God and lays siege to Jerusalem. He then lays siege to Jerusalem and seeks to kill all Jews, Christians and anyone adhering to any religion. He also institutes the mark of the beast. This begins the great tribulation. The Antichrist wages war against believers evidenced by those who do not take the mark of the beast. Jesus quoted Daniel and elaborated on the event. From the abomination of desolation the book of Daniel gives 1260 days. This is three and a half years. The book of Revelation also provides details of the 1260 days.
What Occurs Prior to the Abomination of Desolation?
During the first half of the Tribulation the Antichrist raises the European Union-the final world empire to its pinnacle of power. The EU becomes extremely powerful under his leadership. During this time he will have access to new technologies. He will have been working on the mark of the beast. He is a deciever at this point in time. The angels have begun to unleash the Revelation plauges.
The Plauges of the Revelation to Occur During the Tribulation
Below is a list of plauges that occur during the Tribulation with the worst occuring during the Great Tribulation.
• Nation rises against nation in war- (Matthew 24:7). Also referred to in battle of Armageddon and Antichrist’s conquests.
• An army of 200 million men (possibly China) slays a third of the earth’s population (Revelation 9:13-21).
• A great volcanic eruption destroys a third of all sea life.
• Hail and fire mingled with blood burns a third of all trees and grass (Revelation.8:7).
• A great star falls from heaven, poisoning a third of the earth’s waters (Revelation 8:10-11).
• Day and night reverse (Revelation 8:12).
• A five-month plague of locusts stinging like scorpions leave men in agonizing pain (Revelation 13:21).
• Large hailstones rain down on the earth (Revelation 16:21).
The Final Judgements Occur after the Antichrist martyrs the last Christian
• Rivers, seas, and lakes become as blood, and all sea and aquatic life disappear (Revelation 16:3-4).
• The sun becomes extremely hot, and scorches men with great fear and fire (Revelation 16:18).
• Darkness fills the seat of the kingdom of the Beast, and grievous sores torment the individuals who bear the Mark of the Beast (Revelation 16:2,10).
• The river Euphrates dries up, making way for the kings of the East (Revelation 16:12).
The Tribulation Dispensation
Jesus teaches of perserverance and that “he who endures to the end will be saved.” The beginning of the Tribulation ends the age of Grace. In addition, the Tribulation focuses on Israel. The remaining seven years that completes Daniel’s 490 year prophecy toward Israel makes this point clear. During the Tribulation if you take the mark of the beast you will lose your salvation. By taking the mark you will blaspheme the Holy Spirit. This is the abomination that makes desolate. Most noteworthy this also supports the removal of the Age of Grace believers at the start of the Tribulation.
Other Details Particular to this Dispensation
During the Tribulation the Temple will have significance. Most likely the same that Jesus held for it during His ministry on earth. The two witnesses will perform miracles and miracles will be more common place. This is why Jesus warns against beliving those who say they are the Christ who can perform signs and wonders. In addition, there are also the 144 thousand witnesses or evangelists who will be preaching during the Tribulation dispensation.
It is Coming!
This page is part of a series of pages of Main Bible Prophecy Topics. Other subjects fall under these topics.
This page is part of a series of pages of Main Bible Prophecy Topics.
Other subjects fall under these topics. For example under the Beast of Revelation falls World Government. On the Tribulation page you will find the Peace Treaty, which begins the Tribulation. The Abomination of Desolation begins the Great Tribulation. It falls under that category. This is set up so that you can easily navigate the key topics of end time Bible Prophecy.
Key Bible Prophecy Topics
Bible Prophecy Teachers-Best & Worst
Nations in Prophecy